...First the background to catch everyone up and a brag warning.
Colton was supposed to read 50 books for school this year and take a comprehension test on them. He had to get at least an 80 on each test for it to count. This was part of his school requirements for the year. We decided early on that he could easily read 100 books so we set his goal there. When he met and passed 100 books he decided that his goal should be 200 BOOKS for the school year. Remember, this is 200 books read and 200 passed tests. Also let me interject that he didn't just read 1st grade, simple, easy books. Most of his books were chapter books at the 3rd grade or higher level. He also read several books each week (Encyclopedia Brown as an example) that he didn't take an AR test on so the actual number of books read since the start of school has to be well over 300. BUT Back to the 200 number and a disclaimer. I didn't make him read the books and I didn't set the goal so high. He did. I helped him by checking the book list and every week bringing home at least 5 AR books from the library.
Today he was all grins and calmly said, "I reached my goal of 200 AR Tests". I actually got teary hearing him say those words. It was a big goal for a 1st grader and I love that he accomplished something that will continue to help him in the future. (Just for comparison - the next highest was one of the little girls in Enrichment with him and she read 110). My blog so I can brag on my awesome little dude. I'm really proud of him!

No comments:
Post a Comment