Colton has a way of cutting right to the chase. Michael Jackson died yesterday and I'm a lot more sad than I thought I would be. He was my teenage years and I can remember gathering at a friends house for the first showing of Thriller on tv. I camped out for 3 days at a Turtles Records in the '80s for 2nd row seats in Fulton County Stadium. Carlene, my best friend Cindy, and I had a blast. We were on the grass right in front of the stage. I laugh now at how girls lose their minds at concerts. For whatever the reason (maybe our age), the three of us were screaming and clinging to each other and in general going nuts when he came out.
He was with his brothers and he came out skipping and acting like the child Michael Jackson doing ABC 123. You were taken back and forgot that this was the same guy that sang Thriller. Once he got to the Thriller music, the concert had taken on a life of it's own. It was amazing. I just told Colton that I would have given up my car for the hat he wore when he sang, "Billy Jean". He flipped it off into the audience. I can still remember how absolutely cool he was. I am a Bon Jovi fan and have seen them every time they've come to Atlanta (except one when I was on bed rest with Colton) but that Michael Jackson concert was the VERY BEST one ever. I even had a horse that I named "Thriller" because of him.
We have spent the morning listening and watching all my favorite Michael Jackson videos and music. Both Colton and Cayden have been dancing all over the house. I love that my children will embrace the things that I love and join in the fun.
RIP Michael Jackson. I didn't like all his choices later on in his life but at one time the "King of Pop" was the coolest thing going and I'm so thankful that he was there for my fun teenage years.
This is one of his slow songs that many may not know. "Gone Too Soon". Seems fitting even though he sang this about someone else. The video isn't what I wanted to share but the music with it. Like him or not, Michael Jackson's music was and is amazing.
No comments:
Post a Comment