Friday, June 19, 2009

Just when you thought the "imaginary friends" were gone...

I've been patient through several imaginary friends starting off with Colton's 2 infamous friends, "Jiggy" and "Collar". Don't even ask where the names came from. We have no idea. Colton's friends are long gone but Cayden was not going to be outdone and has 3 friends of his own.

My not so favorite moment with "Jiggy" and "Collar" was when Colton was 2 and Cayden was a newborn. I was struggling with 2 flights of stairs, a baby carrier and getting everyone situated in the car. I had just shut my door when Colton started screaming his head off. I couldn't imagine what was the matter. In my haste, I had left "Jiggy" and "Collar" in the garage and hadn't let them in the car. REALLY Colton?!! I can still remember how frustrated I was. I stomped out of the car, opened the back door, shut the back door and then slammed my own door. I started the engine and was about to back out when the screaming started again. Only Jiggy could fit between the two car seats and "Collar" was still in the garage. There were real tears on Colton's face. You are kidding me child??!!

I stomp again and open up the very back of my SUV, slam it shut, stomp back to my drivers seat all the while thinking that if Cayden starts crying because of all of this then I'm throwing "Jiggy" and "Collar" out the window.

Colton was all smiles and away we drove. From then on before we even started downstairs to the garage, I'd remind Colton that "Jiggy" and "Collar" had to stay home.

Colton's imaginary friends were just buddies. No ulterior motive in having them. Cayden on the other hand, uses "Dogger" and "Essex" and "Mr. Carter" as an excuse for everything that happens.

Crayon writing on the wall....."Dogger" did it.

Toys not picked up...."Essex" played with them last.

TV remote missing...."Mr Carter" took it.


We went through a morbid period where Cayden told everyone that "Dogger" had died. It got real old. At first I tried to argue with him and tell him that we really shouldn't make up things like that. He didn't listen so I waited. In fact I couldn't wait for him to slip up and tell me that Dogger did something. (This next thing isn't going to win me Mom of the year but it sure did feel good at the time.) FINALLY, one day I was pretty mad about crayon marks on one of our white columns in the kitchen. I KNEW Cayden had done it so I confronted him. He said with all seriousness, "Mama, Dogger did it". (I'm so glad I was prepared). I said, "Uhhh no he didn't because "Dogger is DEAD". Probably the only time in my life that I made Cayden speechless. I have to admit it felt good.

The imaginary friends have been kind of quiet lately but I overheard a conversation today where Cayden got mad at Colton. He told Colton that he could never have too many friends and that he was being mean because he wouldn't talk to "Dogger" and "Essex". Colton is so patient sometimes. He finally gave in and agreed that you couldn't have too many friends and that Dogger and Essex could play too.

It was cute for a time but I'm soooooo ready for these imaginary friends to go back where they came from. (I would post pictures but "Dogger" and "Essex" don't like their picture being taken).

No comments:

Post a Comment