Sunday, January 2, 2011

Puppy Adventure with Grams...

My mom and I can get into some crazy things at times.  Something as simple as going to pick out a puppy is never simple when the two of us are involved.  She decided that she wanted a bigger dog.  She has a Papillion and a small poodle.  I was all for it but wanted it to be a dog that would be good with my boys.  Somehow she comes up with some Golden Retriever/Labrador 8 week old puppies that she wants me to go look at on New Years Day when I pick my kids up from her house.  Seemed like a good plan and I even got Neal to go with us.  JUST as we were pulling into the mans looooong driveway in the middle of nowhere, the sky opens up and it starts pouring.  Mom, Colton and I are in her truck and Neal and Cayden are in my car.  Mom said, "Well the worst possible scenario would be if the puppies were outside."  YA THINK??  LOL
I knew IMMEDIATELY that these puppies were outside.  What I didn't know is that they were just loose.  Not in a pen but crowding up under roof overhang of the house under a bush.  Did I mention it was POURING!  I tell Colton to stay in the car and I roll down my window and tell Neal that they can just stay in the car too.  (Not that Neal needed my permission because he isn't the crazy one and wasn't about to get out to look at wet puppies in the rain.)  I pull out my new umbrella and laughed at Mom who just jumps out to go stand in the doorway barely out of the rain and actually still getting wet.  The man is just standing there.  He doesn't offer to pick up the puppies, help us catch them or invite us inside.  So I look under the bush, call the puppies and one cute one walks toward me and I grab it (mind you it's soaking wet) and hand it to my Mom.  It was a male.  She thought she wanted a blonder female.  I grabbed another one and somehow we ended up with a 3rd that we gave to Colton in the backseat of the truck.

I know lots of details but it was so comical.  By now my Mom is soaked.  I'm pretty wet and not that clean from picking up wet puppies and I take the original one and go and get in the back of my car so Neal and Cayden can see it.  We liked him immediately. I quickly did some puppy testing and he passed the few things that I could do with him.  Meanwhile Mom is walking out in the rain with the lighter color puppy.  All of these puppies looked like little Golden Retrievers and were just varying degrees of Blond to Reddish Blond.  She brought her puppy to me and I talked her into the one that I had.  Something about his face and the way he looked and acted had won me over. 

So Mom/Grams is now the proud parent of "Midas the Rainman".  (Neal came up with name Midas and frankly I wouldn't have let him name the dog since he didn't even get wet but Mom is nicer than I am.  hehe)

Today I called Mom and told her that she should really bring him over to my house for a "Photoshoot" before he got too big.  She gave him a bath and here he is.....(He LOVES Cayden.  He acts like Cayden is his littermate and played with him the most.)







If we didn't all ready have a dog and I wasn't driven crazy by dog hair on a daily basis, we would have ended up with one of these puppies.  At least we'll get to enjoy "Midas" when we visit Grams or she brings him here.

No comments:

Post a Comment