Sunday, October 10, 2010

Sad day today...

Today Colton and I went to the Funeral Home because a little girl in Colton's class died from from Stage IV Cancer.  She had cancer for the first time at two years old and went into remission until January of this year.  They tried chemo and some experimental treatments but she wasn't able to beat it this time.  Mary Evelyn was a joy.  She taught all our children about compassion and bravery and courage.  She was in Colton's 1st grade class and also was in his class this year.
   

I struggled with the decision to let him go, but it was exactly the right decision.  We all waited in a long line to visit with the parents. When Mary Evelyn's Mom, Edna looked up and saw Colton she smiled and then got down on her knees and hugged him and stayed there talking to him for a long time. I was so proud of Colton. He told them how sorry he was and that he was going to miss her and then he told them some stories about sitting next to her in school. This was ALL him. I didn't coach him on what to say. They really seemed to enjoy him and thanked him for being her friend and just hugged on him.

I thanked them for sharing her with all of us instead of just keeping her home. It was a hard decision to let her go to school but they wanted her to know that they believed she could get better and they wanted her life to be as normal as possible.


They had a kneeling bench in front of the casket (it was closed which was probably better for us) and we went over and Colton said a prayer out loud. I couldn't have done a better job and I didn't even say anything because he said all that needed to be said. So many life lessons for a little 7 year old boy but I'm glad that he could see that doing something hard by going to the funeral home, did make a difference to Mary Evelyn's parents.

As we were walking out of the Funeral Home another little bald girl was walking in. Colton didn't stare or miss a beat. He smiled and said hello but it was just normal. Mary Evelyn taught all our children about acceptance and kindness. Colton recognizes that she is the most courageous person he's ever known and even in the last days she was overheard saying to herself, "I'm not going to die". So even though this is so sad, I wouldn't have traded having her in my child's life even for this short period of time. She has changed all the children for the better and they are lucky to have been touched by her.

Please keep her family in your prayers.  We'll miss you Mary Evelyn!


No comments:

Post a Comment